Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Why?, part 2

Yesterday we saw that God purposes disasters and the like so that His name will be known throughout the world. He even uses tragedy and judgment for His glory and to show forth the light of salvation through His Son.

Thankfully, judgment and disaster is only one side of the coin. While there is death and destruction there is also grace and life. We noted on Monday that Israel was in exile for their sin and that God was still gracious in revealing Himself to Ezekiel. Yesterday in light of recent events we looked at the mighty power of God and his judgment upon rebellious people.

Today we will briefly look at the flip side. The other side of the coin is this: God, while extending his wrath and judgment, also extends his grace and love. The texts we looked at yesterday emphasized God’s purposes in evil. This is not all that Ezekiel says:

34:27 - The trees of the field will yield their fruit and the ground will yield its crops; the people will be secure in their land. They will know that I am the LORD, when I break the bars of their yoke and rescue them from the hands of those who enslaved them.

34:30-31 - Then they will know that I, the LORD their God, am with them and that they, the house of Israel, are my people, declares the Sovereign LORD. 31 You my sheep, the sheep of my pasture, are people, and I am your God, declares the Sovereign LORD.

36:23 - I will show the holiness of my great name, which has been profaned among the nations, the name you have profaned among them. Then the nations will know that I am the LORD, declares the Sovereign LORD, when I show myself holy through you before their eyes.

37:6 - I will attach tendons to you and make flesh come upon you and cover you with skin; I will put breath in you, and you will come to life. Then you will know that I am the LORD.

37:28 - Then the nations will know that I the LORD make Israel holy, when my sanctuary is among them forever.

38:23 - And so I will show my greatness and my holiness, and I will make myself known in the sight of many nations. Then they will know that I am the LORD.

39:28 - Then they will know that I am the LORD their God, for though I sent them into exile among the nations, I will gather them to their own land, not leaving any behind.

The last verse is particularly helpful for it shows both sides of the coin. Judgment: “I sent them into exile.” Grace: “I will gather them to their own land.” God never leaves death and destruction without hope and life. He never brings wrath and judgment without also shinning forth His grace and mercy.

My Responsibility: Is not part of our responsibility as Christians to be messengers of grace to those who have suffered?

Question: How often do we look for the grace of God in tragedy? It is there! How do we show forth God’s grace to others?

Prayer: Father, you never allow your wrath and judgment to be without your grace and mercy. We confess that because of our sin we only deserve your judgment. The wages of our sin is death – we deserve no other end. Yet, you are a gracious and merciful God. Through your precious Son you have given us life, you have redeemed us from the pit of death. We thank you for your gift of mercy and salvation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home